- wed: Upper body. Lifted for 30 minutes . Concentrated on upper body: chest, shoulders, arms, etc. I learned the hard way that chest presses with the weight stack doesn’t translate well into a free weight chest press. I racked up the same weight and I knew as soon as I started to lower it to my chest I was in trouble. I almost had to call my wife to get it off me but I managed to muscle it up. Whew.
- wed: Trek mounted on Kinetic. Rode 13.0 miles for 45 minutes at 17.33 mph. Another nice cycling session on my bike mounted inside. The kenetic is such a nice mounted system and the road-like feel is great. I had the fan on and a good TV series I am watching. Since my treadmill died I ordered another one. I am getting the Noric Track C2150 and it is going to be a lot better than my last one.
- thu: Upper body workout. Lifted for 30 minutes . No time for a core workout today. Just concentrated on the top half. I keep thinking I will wake up one day and love resistance training. Hasn’t happened yet.
- sun: Treadmill miles. Ran 5.0 miles. Just breaking in my new treadmill, so these 5 miles were broken up over a couple hours of calibrating the incline, adjusting the belt, etc. So far I am really liking the NordicTrack commercial 2150
- tue: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles. Another miserable running day in cold, damp weather. I messed up on the clothes again and got sweaty and then cold.
- thu: Lynnfield 3 mile route. Ran 3.0 miles. Quick untimed run in the neighborhood. It was dark and cold and blah.
- fri: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles. Getting tired of winter running. Dark + cold + ridiculous clothing management just gets tiring fast.
- sat: Quick dusting. Lifted for 20 minutes . Only had time for a quick brushing of main muscle groups before I had to call it quits.
- sat: Trek mounted on Kinetic. Rode 14.0 miles for 45 minutes at 18.67 mph. Got the bike mounted indoors so I took it for a test drive today. Just as well as I had no interest in getting geared up to run in the yucky weather.
- tue: Quick dusting. Lifted for 30 minutes . I did what I could with the time and energy available to me today. Still reeling from last weeks cold.
- tue: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles. Untimed run to shake off the vestiges of my col from last week. 10 days with very little physical activity has left me feeling weak and out of breath.
- thu: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles. Untimed moderate pace run. I am feeling much stronger today, but I tried not to push it too much. The weather sucks.. sort of gray, cold and damp.
- sat: Lynnfield-Summer-Essex-Loop. Ran 7.7 miles. Untimed long run. This is my first long run in a while and it went pretty well considering I was sick last week. The weather was cold, gray and damp and I overdressed and then got sweaty and cold.
- sun: Hard resistance workout. Lifted for 80 minutes . I did it all… upper body, lower body and core workout. I actually had someone tell me they were “envious” of my core strength after they watched me do single leg front facing planks for 10 minutes. That is a first.
- sun: Total Immersion drills. Swam 750 yards for 40 minutes at 19 yds/min. I ran through drills Superman Glide, Superman Flutter, Laser Lead Flutter and Core Balance Position for 20 minutes before moving to a new drill called Skating Position which builds on previous drills. It was hard. I am tired.
- sat: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles for 50 minutes at 11:51 pace. I am still recovering from my cold and this was too much. I pretty much imploded after 3 miles. I have been sick all week 🙁
Well 2012 is finally over and what a year it has been. I started the year still recovering from my Achilles tendon rupture. I was still very injured in January and was at a very low point in both my fitness and my spirit. I had gained 17 pounds since my injury in September of 2011 and had not really exercised in months. I tried a few things now and then but mostly I sat on the couch and played video games and ate. Very depressing.
Starting near the end of February I was able to start running and by March I was definitely on the mend. In retrospect I was not fully healed until September, so really everything between March and September was re-training. It was almost like starting from scratch, the main difference being that I knew *how* to train, so I was not floundering around like I was back in 2010. That and the fact i was not as fat as I was at my biggest, so i was able to start running without the weight slowing me down.
As you can see in the chart my running miles were around 60 for March and April, jumped to 70-80 through July and then jumped to over 100 for Aug-Oct before tapering down as we headed into the winter.
- My first century cycling event was the Prouty in June. 100 miles in blistering heat in the Connecticut river valley. I did this event with my sister Shelby and her husband and I had a great time!
- I ran thee half marathons in the fall, including a 2:02 personal record!
- I learned that I had activity induced asthma, which explains a lot of the issues I have running in certain weather.
- My overall fitness increased significantly and I am becoming very comfortable in the 9:00 pace range with the ability to push into 8’s and even 7’s for short distances.
So onward and upward into 2013! Who knows what the year will bring!