- mon: Stationary bike at gym. Rode 5.0 miles for 20 minutes at 15.00 mph.
- mon: Full body workout. Lifted for 75 minutes .
- wed: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles for 45 minutes at 10:40 pace. Pretty good run along a favorite route of mine
- sat: Chelsea Chase 5K. Ran 3.1 miles for 29 minutes at 9:34 pace. My first official race since my injury. I ran to support a friend who was running her first race ever. She claimed she could only run 11 minute miles so I thought this would be a “safe” race for me. She then proceeded to go all crazy on me. Some portions we were at 8:30 pace and I was Okaaaaayyyy let’s slow it down. Ankle is a little ore now, but it was great fun overall. And a great cause.
My first official race since my injury. I ran to support a friend who was running her first race ever. She claimed she could only run 11 minute miles so I thought this would be a “safe” race for me. She then proceeded to go all crazy on me. Some portions we were at 8:30 pace and I was Okaaaaayyyy let’s slow it down. Ankle is a little sore now, but it was great fun overall. And a great cause. This course has some challenging hills but finishes on a nice half mile flat straightaway.
It benefits the Jordan Boys & Girls Club and the Chelsea Police Relief Association and the police all ran as a group. It was really cool to see them run in formation and you could hear them chanting in unison no matter where you were on the course. It looks to me that they ran as slow as their slowest runner as a way to show solidarity, and it worked.
Official bib time on this was 29:51, which is a 9:37 pace. I really held my friend back and I think I asked her to slow down half a dozen times. She later went on to run her first 10K with a great time and I think we may be looking at a new person hooked on running!
- mon: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.8 miles for 32 minutes at 11:36 pace. Slow recovery jog. Painful.
- tue: 800 meter repeats. Ran 2.0 miles for 15 minutes at 7:50 pace. Pushed myself hard for this run on a hilly road. Almost puked on the first half mile. I also felt winded for an hour after I was done. But it felt “good” in a way
- tue: Full body workout. Lifted for 75 minutes . Good full body gym workout. I can tell I am getting stronger. My wife said the other day that my shoulders looked broader 🙂
- wed: Wakefield-reading-lynnfield loop. Rode 19.1 miles for 73 minutes at 15.50 mph. I was feeling just overall too sore to run so I switched to cycling today. The ride started out cold but as I got going it was balanced out by my exertion.
- thu: Fully body workout. Lifted for 80 minutes . Solid workout. Added more core and shoulder work. Increased all weights 5 pounds from last week. My right calf extension is now only 20 pounds behind my left.
- sat: Lake Quannapowitt loops. Ran 9.6 miles for 110 minutes at 11:26 pace. Ran this at a 10:15 pace with a 1 min walk every 4 minutes. I was feeling pretty good until third lap when my right ankle/calf started acting up. I think I was not recovered from weight training on Thursday. I ran with 2 ladies from the Lynnfield/Wakefield running club and it was nice to share the time with people. http://www.runaroundtown.org
Gorgeous ride with the North Shore Cyclists along the Merrimack river. It is still a little cool but in the bight sun it was hardly noticeable. I fell in with a pace group and enjoyed a great ride along fairly flat road and amazing scenery. Eventually the field thinned out and we all separated. I ended up at the parking lot by myself with only a few other cyclists left to come in. I think I was one of only a few that took the longest route of the day, most taking the 21 or 38 mile loops.
If you are interested then you can see all the details on the routes and download cue sheets here.
- tue: Wildwood-essex-summer-edgemere-loop. Ran 7.0 miles for 75 minutes at 10:39 pace. I wanted this to be a nice jog and at 2.2 miles I felt so good I took a left rather than an out an back. By the end I had a fair amount of ankle pain and limped into the house. I don’t think I was recovered from Sunday’s effort.
- wed: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.8 miles for 28 minutes at 10:09 pace. Quick jog around the neighborhood
- fri: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.8 miles for 30 minutes at 10:52 pace. Slow jog to put in the miles
- sat: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.8 miles for 32 minutes at 11:36 pace. Jog with my wife. First time ever. It was great fun and she says she will do it again next week.
- sun: Merrimack River 46 mile loop. Rode 45.6 miles for 185 minutes at 14.76 mph. A lot of interesting things happened on this ride. Firstly I meant to do the 32 mile option but picked the wrong GPX file in my bike Garmin. Secondly 15 miles into the ride two ladies pulled up to me at a stop sign and asked if they could ride with me. They then proceeded to push me for the next 30 miles far faster than I can comfortably do and then told me to be thankful that they were “just” women. I feel so emasculated LOL. Seriously though, they taught me a lot about paceline work and were very patient. Can I have my nap now?
- mon: cool down. Ran 0.5 miles.
- mon: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.7 miles for 27 minutes at 10:22 pace. Jog for some miles. Sore from yesterday’s effort.
- tue: Fully body weight training. Lifted for 60 minutes . I am finally starting to see the results of the weight training since I upped it to 3 times a week. It is a time committment, but I can do an abbreviated workout one of the three times that seems to still make a difference.
- wed: Sherwood Forest Loop. Ran 2.8 miles for 25 minutes at 9:14 pace. Solid run with the expected right ankle soreness afterward.
- fri: Locksley-Essex out and back. Ran 4.2 miles for 47 minutes at 11:08 pace. MId week miles jogging. Gorgeous afternoon. I am suffering from a back muscle spasm thingy, but it seemd to not bother me running.
- sun: Full body weights, no core. Lifted for 45 minutes . Did as much weights as I could do without irritating the back spasm I have been dealing wtih. That meant no core work but i was able to get most muscle groups done.
- sun: Lake Quannapowitt loops. Ran 6.7 miles for 73 minutes at 10:56 pace. I made the mistaking running the first lap too fast (9:30 pace) then had to walk/run the second lap which left me with no steam in my legs. I had planned 3 laps but decided to call it. Since I have limited fuel in my system because of my diet I should have really jogged in the 11’s and bought me more miles.