- mon: Recovery from long run. Pace marathon pace + 1 Intervals of Run 3min, walk 30 seconds. Should be about 4.5 – 5 miles. Ran 5.2 miles for 73 minutes at 14:12 pace. Blizzard out so I did this on the treadmill. I worked to keep my heart rate under 160, which seemed to be about 15 minmile pace.
- wed: Longer mid week easy run. This is mostly to build miles for the week.. Ran 7.0 miles for 89 minutes at 12:45 pace. I ran this continuously without a break. I ran it keeping my heart rate at or under 160.
- fri: Tempo run. Ran 2.7 miles for 29 minutes at 10:51 pace. Garmin Edge 205305
- sat: First 5k race of the year. Looking to improve my PR of 33:09 (10:41 pace) from the Doug Floutie 5K in the fall. Ran 3.2 miles for 31 minutes at 9:47 pace. Race went pretty well with an average pace of 9:43 (6.2 mh) Legs felt great. Only limiting factor was HR which I pushed into the red zone for the entire race.
- sun: Long run at 90 second behind marathon pace. RunWalk ratio of 5m1m. Ran 13.0 miles for 156 minutes at 12:01 pace. Felt great. Took food and water with me this time and this really helped. I am feeling some pain in my left ankle later in the day. will RICE
Every year Lowell hosts a 5K / 10K race on the first of January called “First Run”. I thought I would give it a try and see if I had improved much since the Flutie 5K in the fall. It was a gorgeous day and even though many of the participants were probably suffering from hangovers, the spirits seemt o be running high.
I managed to pull off a PR of 30:58, roughly 3 minutes faster than the fall. Here is a video of the race: